• Search all forums
  • Forum help and frequently asked questions
    Help
    • Forum help and frequently asked questions
Nurse prescribing course
Benedette

6 Posts

Posted:  19-Aug-2016 08:35
Need advice on a serious note.I hate myself.I embarked on the prescribing course.I passed some but failed my Osce and numeracy and the portfolio in first sitting.I failed numeracy by one question short and Osce by 1 mark.I recently resitted the exams and have slipped again .Numeracy 1 mark and Osce by one mark.How pathetic.I am just too disappointed and just want to quit nursing right now..
Benedette

6 Posts

Posted:  24-Aug-2016 20:52
Thank you so much for your support.It has been demoralising and sad.Like you stated,and if given another opportunity,i may do it again.I must say that this experience has really taken a lot out of me during this pathetic time.Let's hear what the exam board says whenever they meet.I do not know when this would be ,and would dare not ask.l was told during the programme that anybody who fails is given only 2 attempts.Who knows.I feel so sad at this time.Thanks.
MissJules

15 Posts

Posted:  02-Sep-2016 14:01
Hi Benedette

I myself failed the numeracy exam twice by 1 error which resulted in me failing the course. I was very upset as I had studied very hard with everything else. However I never gave up like nurse144 stated. I chose a different university and found the support much better with this university. Because of my failure the first time round my confidence was much greater. My tutor admired the way I stood up in front of everyone to tell them that I had failed the course initially, but I was determined this time I would pass (which I did) an it also hit home to the other students that it isn't an easy course at all!

You'll do it!

Best of luck

Jules
duaneconnell

26 Posts

Posted:  02-Sep-2016 20:07
This course that you are taking sounds really interesting. I myself have not done well on some nursing courses, but I have found a few techniques that have helped me to get a passing grade and pass the course. The techniques are the following:
1. Study in chunks and take breaks.
2. Get into a study group.
3. If your professor has office hours or help hours, use that opportunity to ask questions.
4. Ask for ways you can do extra credit.
5. Take notes on what you are reading about in your textbook.
6. Make a practice test yourself and take it in order to see how well you are doing.
I hope these few techniques are helping you.
Benedette

6 Posts

Posted:  07-Sep-2016 03:50
Thank you all for your valuable advice.Right now,the Uni have not contacted me.I have not really bothered with them anymore.I found the whole thing was distressing me ,and so, i have closed that chapter to have a life otherwise it would ruin me as a person.My confidence has been hit so bad but i am working on that...I am actually hating my job and everything to do with nursing now.

Ms Jules,I got funded by the CCG,and that is the aspect i am worried about really.Would i have to pay back? Which university absorbed you?And did you have to start from the scratch?I cannot afford the fees on my own...so i guess it may be a close chapter really...
I got my mitigating circumstance approved after the exam.If there is a chance to do it again,i will or may attempt it but really i feel i should just let go and just shut that door I get so demoralised when i think of it,and do not want to think of it,and just get on without it.I know i am a good nurse who just hates nursing right now.Perhaps,i may get into assessments_for people applying for benefits_the disability analyst jobs.What do you think?...just an escape from hands on care nursing.
MissJules

15 Posts

Posted:  19-Sep-2016 14:52
Hi Benedette

You really have lost your confidence it seems! To be a good nurse is not all about prescribing or any other academic qualifications so don't beat yourself up over it as I know it can make people ill.

You won't have to pay any of the money back and still maybe access funding again for a different university. I'll private message you the 2 universities that I studied at.

I felt a failure initially until the GPs told me they had failed their doctorates 1st time and other exams!! Don't give up and if you are not happy where you work then move somewhere else,as there is an underlying confidence issue that I'm sensing??

Good luck as you'll do it!

Jules
Benedette

6 Posts

Posted:  21-Sep-2016 14:47
Yes,Ms.Jules,I have lost my confidence totally.I am searching for something else to get into.I am still working but planning to finish off by Christmas,and do something different.You know something.I have always been a fairly bright student and have never failed .I just feel this course director is really getting a kick failing me,and I have asked to see my work and been told i am not getting it.I have my doubts regarding failing but really have no proof.All other work that she did not mark,I did very well in all of them except for the two she marked.She failed my Osce because she said i got the pennicillin spelling wrong.Ridiculous.I have another chance but already know she will find a fault to frustrate me,and i am having none of that now. She did not mark my pharmacology,and so i got a whopping 91%.How sad.This is my story.
nurse_shef

2 Posts

Posted:  23-Sep-2016 11:23
Hi Benedette

I completely understand how you feel, I am on same position, I have failed numeracy exam once, and yesterday sat the 2nd sitting, but as soon as I left the examination room I just knew I failed it again, I am so so depressed, just feel complete failure. I was told by the student advice to submit the extenuating circumstances form to see if they will give me another chance but I just have no hopes they will. I passed everything else absolutely fine, just the numeracy lets me down, I get so stressed during exam that I just misunderstand the question.
I hope you will succeed it on your next attempt.
MissJules

15 Posts

Posted:  23-Sep-2016 18:02
Hi Benedette

You can demand to see your work like you can a reference now. If you get in touch with the Dean of the Uni they will help you.
Please don't have a change in direction just because of this minor setback. At least you are offered a 3rd chance which is more than I ever got! My only and younger brother had recently died from a cerebral carcinoma and the classroom overlooked the hospital where he had his chemo etc. No compassion at all from the tutors but hey ho, I couldn't wait to email them when I passed at the other university!
It doesn't make you less bright lv not to achieve the course at the moment. I got a 1st with my batchelors degree many years ago but I never let it beat me.

I always believe that things happen for a reason and it will all work out in the end....Trust me

Good luck x
MissJules

15 Posts

Posted:  23-Sep-2016 18:27
Hi nurse_shef

The same messages that I've sent to Benedette please read. Please don't beat yourself up about it. Your health is more important than a course lv!

I've been in both your positions and know how you feel. I felt humiliated and it took me 6 months before I plucked up courage to tell the GPs! Their response was 'don't worry, we don't pass 1st time either!"

Good luck, you'll get there x

Please log in to post on the forum. It is free to register.
Some links are only clickable if you are logged in
Featured Jobs
Advanced Nurse Practitioner (Prescriber) - Flexible Hours Available
Valid Nurse Prescriber. To work as an Advanced Nurse Practitioner. We’re now looking to add Advanced Nurse Practitioners to our team....
This job offer was posted by Indeed 22 May 2019
Events
Add Event
Public Personal